A WELL-ROUNDED PROGRAM
North Point School focuses on helping students achieve their own personal academic best to open doors as they move through high school and on to their post-secondary aspirations. Everything we do academically is in the pursuit of that opportunity for ALL of our students.
- We strive to ensure every student can be academically successful. This requires shared accountability between students, teacher and parents.
- We adhere to all Alberta Education guidelines and curriculum requirements.
- We choose options to complement core curriculum based on broadening our student’s perspectives and skills.
- We will develop classroom programming that is reflective of authentic learning, ensuring that students are establishing critical thinking and learning skills required to be successful beyond the classroom.
- Our personalized approach is designed to ensure that every student has a direct connection and feedback with teachers on a daily basis.
- We balance the flexibility our students need and desire with the structure to support their success.
- We integrate adaptive educational technology into our learning environment
- Our overall philosophy is to prepare our students for lifelong learning, leading us to support the development of positive “learning attitudes” for every student.
- Post-Secondary Preparation and Focus
- 2 Streams – dash 1 and dash 2 courses
- Post-Secondary and Career Counselling
- Semestered and Linear Classes
- Online courses available with direct support if programs need to be customized
WHY ARE WE BRINGING BOYS & GIRLS TOGETHER IN HIGH SCHOOL
- High school students are more independent in their learning.
- The academic and social differences between boys and girls becomes less of an issue in the classroom at this stage in their development.
- A co-ed high School will create a more robust social environment at North Point as students prepare for the next steps in their education.
Core options offer students a complete and comprehensive introduction to disciplines which not only help to enhance and supplement the Core Academic Program, but broaden students’ life experiences.
- Outdoor Education
- Digital / Media Arts
- Visual Arts
- Financial Education (mandatory for all students)
- STEM Education (mandatory for all students)
We work with our students to determine their interests and seek to open up new options when we have a critical mass to deliver a specialized program.
Quick Program Facts
School Day runs 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Refer to our annual calendar HERE.
Class Structure – All students are part of a grade-specific mentor homeroom. Curriculum is taught by curriculum specialists at the high school level. We offer a small student to teacher ratio when covering critical information. The overall student to teacher ratio varies depending on the activity and can range from 10:1 to 20:1 (primarily for option classes and PE).
Leadership – Throughout the year our high school students have the opportunity for leadership development by interacting with students in our elementary and junior high school programs. From volunteering in the community, pursuing an outdoor education activity together or building a fun project together, our high school students are expected to be positive role models for our younger students.
Relational Teaching – North point provides a small family-like atmosphere for students who want an environment in which they get to know their teachers and classmates very well, can get the help they need while struggling or the encouragement they need when wanting to push ahead or dive deeper into an area of study. We like to think of ourselves as a small boutique high school where students can enjoy the high school journey with outstanding mentors helping them every step of the way.