Helping Boys Navigate Uncharted Waters
North Point Student Life
School is more than academics and athletics. Thank you making it this far in learning about life at North Point. Read on to find out what time students start school, who the Navigators are, how students are part of Navigators squads, and what traditions are ingrained in student life at North Point.
Student Life Basics
Here are some of the basics of school life at North Point School.
Before- and After-School Care
A Before- and After-School care program is now available at North Point School as of September 2019-20. Summit Kids will run this out-of-school program in the school for students in Grades 1-6.
Summit Kids is an award-winning organization that prides itself on offering cutting edge before & after out-of-school programming. We provide personalized service, trusted care, innovative and enriched programming; all within intentionally designed secure centres & spaces where each child can grow and thrive to the best of their potential.
Before Care begins at 7:00 a.m.
After Care will be offered until 6:00 p.m.
- Full-time Summit Kid Memberships include ALL non-instructional days
- Summit Kids also offer Spring & Summer Camps
To register today:
- Visit us at www.SummitKids.ca/Registration
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select Non-Members Grade 1-6 Registration
- Under the School Year Programs section, select Click to View Offerings
- Under the Grades 1-6 section, select Click to View Offerings
- In the search box, type in North Point
- Click the check box under the Grade 1-6 After School and/or Grade 1-6 Before School sections
- Fill out your child’s registration form and proceed to cart!
Further questions? Contact Bob, the Summit Kids Campus Lead at 403.477.1122.
North Point offers TWO bus routes with community pick up points.
- Our North route runs from Cochrane to the school daily. The stops vary by school year but in 2018-19 were Cochrane, 12 mile coulee Road Co-op, Dalhousie Drive, Foothills / Children’s Hospital (PM only), Varsity (PM only), 5th Ave/Crowchild.
- Starting in 2019-20 we are pleased to offer a new SW/SE route which will start in Chapparal with stops in McKenzie Towne, Will Park, Woodlands, Chinook Park, North Glenmore and Altadore.
School Schedule / Timetable
We closely follow the Calgary public education schedule when it comes to Professional Development days, and for Christmas and Spring Breaks (we have two weeks off for each of those). Our school day runs Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Three days in the year we schedule a noon dismissal to accommodate Checkpoint Meetings.
North Point students attend school in our official uniform. This involves a North Point branded shirt paired with bottoms of their choice (no rips/tears). Every Wednesday, students wear North Point ‘formal’ – navy North Point polo and khaki pants/shorts.
The Friends of North Point Society is our official parent council. They take on a variety of programs/projects throughout the year. Through then, we offer Healthy Hunger lunches weekly on Mondays. All parents are welcome to attend the monthly meetings.
North Point Navigators
Navigators are more then just our team name. Navigators are curious, eager, resourceful and relentless in their pursuit of everything they do.
Each student upon joining North Point becomes part of a Navigators Squad. These squads provide the foundation for friendly rivalry and camaraderie for your boy’s entire time at North Point. Throughout the year, students participate in numerous challenges (academic, physical, character). While building up skills, these challenges are also for the elusive pursuit of the Navigators’ Cup – awarded to the squad with the most points at the end of the school year.
Students in grades 7-9 can participate on the North Point Navigators athletic teams that compete within the Calgary Independent School Athletic Association (CISAA). North Point athletics teams include:
FALL: Golf, Cross Country Running, Volleyball
WINTER: Basketball, Floor Hockey, Badminton
SPRING: Track & Field
Gr. 6-9 Outdoor Education Travel Program*
Students in grades 6-9 may participate in an optional travel program to Utah/Arizona held every spring break. This annual trip of 11 days – three travel days and eight exploration days – takes a group of adventurous, curious and courageous boys to the southern Utah desert during spring break. The students are introduced to canyoneering, repelling, hiking, climbing, camping, meal preparation and outdoor survival skills. This is the trip of a lifetime!
*Program fees apply to this optional trip.
North Point students participate in a number of traditions throughout the school year. These include:
- Blue Lake Camp : 3-day/2-night outdoor education retreat for students in Grades 4-9 and held annually in late September.
- Christmas Ornament : each student new to the school in a school year brings an ornament and places it on the school Christmas tree.
- Mountain Day : a surprise day in the mountains. – the Mountain Day bell is rung in the morning, telling all students that classes are cancelled and they participate in a day of camaraderie, hiking and fresh air.