A WELL-ROUNDED PROGRAM
North Point School focuses on helping students achieve their own personal academic best to open doors as they move through high school and on to their post-secondary aspirations. Everything we do academically is in the pursuit of that opportunity for ALL of our students.
- We strive to ensure every student can be academically successful. This requires shared accountability between students, teacher and parents.
- We adhere to all Alberta Education guidelines and curriculum requirements.
- We choose options to complement core curriculum based on broadening our student’s perspectives and skills.
- We will develop classroom programming that is reflective of authentic learning, ensuring that students are establishing critical thinking and learning skills required to be successful beyond the classroom.
- Our personalized approach is designed to ensure that every student has a direct connection and feedback with teachers on a daily basis.
- We balance the flexibility our students need and desire with the structure to support their success.
- We integrate adaptive educational technology into our learning environment
- Our overall philosophy is to prepare our students for lifelong learning, leading us to support the development of positive “learning attitudes” for every student.
We Encourage Big Thinkers
If you allow and encourage true creativity, you also have to accept the possibility of failure. Without failure there is no innovation. Failure is an opportunity to learn. A school should be a place where mistakes are allowed, tangents are encouraged and big thinking is celebrated.
– Salman Khan, One World Schoolhouse
- Language Arts
- Social Studies
- Physical Education (Daily Mon-Thurs)
- Health & Personal Life Skills
We Know Boys
- Boys tend to be Visual and Kinesthetic learners.
- Boys process and express emotions differently than girls.
- Boys need male role models.
- Boys and girls develop different skills at different stages.
- Boys mature later than girls – physically and socially.
- Boys are curious and creative.
- Boys have boundless physical energy.
- Boys can be impulsive.
- Boys tend to be disorganized.
- Boys are competitive and are risk takers.
It is with this understanding that we have created an environment that celebrates boys’ strengths and interests, understands areas of growth, and is realistic about behaviour expectations.
Core options offer students a complete and comprehensive introduction to disciplines which not only help to enhance and supplement the Core Academic Program, but broaden students’ life experiences. The Core option program is offered together with best-in-class organizations and instructors proven in their fields of expertise.
Our Kindergarten to Grade 5 students have each of the following options which they rotate through on a trimester basis.
- Fine Arts – Music, Visual Arts, Drama
- Enrichment – Leadership, Outdoor Education, Cooking
- Languages – French
Our Grade 6-9 student have more choice in the options that they can take. They will choose three of the following:
- Visual Arts
- Action / Outdoor Education
- NP Media
- STEM / Rocketry
- PEP Hockey (there is an additional fee for this option)
Quick Program Facts
School Day runs 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday for all grades (Full-day kindergarten to grade 9). We loosely follow the public education schedule for major holidays and non-instructional days. Refer to our annual calendar HERE.
Class Structure – All students are part of grade-specific mentor homeroom. Curriculum is taught by curriculum leaders to specific grade levels. This provides a small student to teacher ratio when covering critical information. The overall student to teacher ratio varies depending on the activity and can range from 1:1 to 18:1.